Attenborough conveyed his understanding with such enthusiasm and love for creation that I couldn’t help but get swept along, particularly since it so perfectly resonated with my own driving desire to grasp Evolution.
Musing on the outpouring of information in these videos I was inspired to pull out some continuous feed computer paper and graph out the 4.6 billion year old timeline - one million years equaling one millimeter. Luckily at the time I had an unused space where I had two banquet tables lined up, since it took a couple weeks to complete in my spare time. I filled it with PostIt notes marking key events. Trying to get a feel for the time spans involved.
- ED YONG \ MAY 6, 2016
David Attenborough's work as an author has strong parallels with his broadcasting career. In the 1950s and 1960s, his published work included accounts of his animal collecting expeditions around the world, which became the Zoo Quest series. He wrote an accompanying volume to each of his nine Life documentaries, along with books on tribal art and birds of paradise. His autobiography, Life on Air, was published in 2002, revised in 2009 and is one of a number of his works which is available as a self-narrated audiobook. Attenborough has also contributed forewords and introductions to many other works, notably those accompanying Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, Africa and other BBC series he has narrated.
- Zoo Quest to Guyana (1956)
- Zoo Quest for a Dragon (1957) – republished in 1959 to include an additional 85 pages titled Quest for the Paradise Birds
- Zoo Quest in Paraguay (1959)
- Quest in Paradise (1960)
- People of Paradise (1960)
- Zoo Quest to Madagascar (1961)
- Quest Under Capricorn (1963)
- Fabulous Animals (1975)
- The Tribal Eye (1976)
- Life on Earth (1979)
- Discovering Life on Earth (1981)
- The Living Planet (1984)
- The First Eden: The Mediterranean World and Man (1987)
- The Atlas of the Living World (1989)
- The Trials of Life (1990)
- The Private Life of Plants (1994)
- The Life of Birds (1998)
- The Life of Mammals (2002)
- Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster (2002) – autobiography, revised in 2009
- Life in the Undergrowth (2005)
- Amazing Rare Things: The Art of Natural History in the Age of Discovery (2007) – with Susan Owens, Martin Clayton and Rea Alexandratos
- Life in Cold Blood (2007)
- David Attenborough's Life Stories (2009)
- David Attenborough's New Life Stories (2011)
- Drawn From Paradise: The Discovery, Art and Natural History of the Birds of Paradise (2012) – with Errol Fuller
- Adventures of a Young Naturalist: The Zoo Quest Expeditions (2017)
- Journeys to the Other Side of the World: Further Adventures of a Young Naturalist (2018)
- Dynasties: The Rise and Fall of Animal Families with Stephen Moss (BBC Books, 2018) ISBN 978-1785943010
is a BBC nature documentary series written and presented by David Attenborough, first transmitted in the UK from 19 January 1984.
David Attenborough filmographyMain article: David Attenborough
The following is a chronological list of television series and individual programmes where David Attenborough is credited as writer, presenter, narrator or producer.
In a career spanning seven decades, Attenborough's name has become synonymous with the natural history programmes produced by the BBC Natural History Unit.