The hallmark of a great scientist is the ability to ask great questions. Questions who's pursuit leads to meaningful progress towards understanding. When it comes to our country's contentious manmade global warming discussion, it also comes down to how serious one is about asking meaningful questions that allow for meaningful constructive answers. (last edit Sept 1)
Judith Curry writes, “Anyone blaming Harvey on global warming doesn’t have a leg to stand on.” (I thought she knew about climatology. Please consider.)
* Global warming is definitely directly related to that hot Gulf of Mexico waters that fed an explosive intensification of a tropical storm.
* Global warming is definitely directly related to the fact that the atmosphere is holding more moisture and making it available for storm systems such as Harvey to collect and dump.
* Global warming is definitely directly related to the fact that our Jet Stream has gotten weirder and is currently causing the stalling and reversal of Harvey’s northward movement.
* Global warming is definitely directly related to the fact that sea level is rising and thus adding substantially to damaging storm surges.
* Global warming is definitely directly related the Brown Ocean Effect that continued feeding moisture, energy into Harvey after it made land fall.
h/t to Paul Beckwith
250 hPa - Jet Stream
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I was told to read this recent article by Judith Curry regarding Hurricane Harvey. I did as requested and was baffled, what was I was supposed to find interesting in it? Other than watching Judith’s outrageously biased perspective manipulate facts into fantasy, which is a thing worth studying. So with no further ado, lets take a look.
Hurricane Harvey: long-range forecasts
Posted on August 27, 2017
by Judith Curry