I've been carrying on a conversation over at a weird little YouTube video named "Denier land: How deniers view global warming." The thing is a textbook example of what's called an "Argument from Incredulity." Meaning that the person is flailing at information that he obviously doesn't understand, like a petulant school boy angry at a teacher who's just flunked him.
Rather than trying to learn something from that information he hides behind ridicule while ignoring all he doesn't understand. I know many people behave like that, but it's definitely no way to learn anything.
In any event, I've been commenting over there and some folks keep challenging me with different, not new, twists on the climate science skeptics handbook of excuses for ignoring what a world wide community of tens of thousands of professionals and experts agree on.
For example, take the following claim:
""More than 2,000 scientists from 154 countries typically participate in the IPCC process"
That is not only dishonest but unimpressive too. Over 30,000 scientists in the USA alone signed a petition disagreeing. Prominent scientists around the world with far more credibility than the anonymous 2000 so-called scientists agree with those 30,000.
You could dispute these figures, as many are not in relevant fields and many do not have higher degree or research backgrounds. However if you did so you admit to your dishonesty, as most of the 2000+ you claim are not researchers, most are not experts in their fields and many do not have PhDs, unlike over 9000 of those in those 30,000."
That, along with other pitches for the "OISM Petition," has inspired me to compose this compilation of information regarding the Oregon Petition, finishing with a REPOST of a DeSmogBlog story examining Arthur Robinson and his one-man operation, the so-called "Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine"
To begin with, from
Some articles which discuss the Oregon Petition
- The Oregon Petition : Deltoid
- Oregon petition: it’s back : Deltoid
- Oregon petition warmed over : Deltoid
- Sydney Writers’ Festival 2009: Stories from the Climate Change Front : Deltoid
- Misleading by Petition: Just What is the Consensus on Global Warming?
- The Oregon Deception Project…..
- Oregon Institute of Science and Malarkey
- One more Petition, still a consensus « Climate Change
- Of moles and whacking: Oregon Petition, Redux « The Way Things Break
- One Blue Marble Blog Climate Change Myth #2: Many climate scientists still have doubts!
- Richard Littlemore | New Oregon Petition Promoter “Not Sufficiently Rational” to Advise Tobacco Industry
- Richard Littlemore | Flawed Oregon Petition Rises Again
- Kevin Grandia | Infamous Oregon Global Warming Petition Alive and Well
- oregon institute of science and medicine
- Art Robinson
- Oregon Petition
- Debunking the Oregon Petition Project
- debunked Oregon Petition on global warming
- Ignore Oregon petition
- Infamous Oregon Global Warming Petition
- RealClimate scientists take on latest manifestation of global warming disinformation campaign
- Petitioning on climate, part 1
- Petitioning on climate, part 2
- Lawrence Solomon is at it again…
- 31,000 “Scientists” (Some Dead) Refute Global Warming
- An angry letter, a petition, and…? « International Journal of Inactivism
- Oregon Petition: The MusicalAnonymuse comes through again …….
- Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (Wikipedia)
- Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (SourceWatch)
- The Oregon Petition